Brexit is an abbreviated name that was considered as the British Exit from the European Union.
The process of British Exit began on June 23, 2016.
The British exit took place on 31st January 2020. The United Kingdom was supposed to leave the European Union on 31st October 2019, but the UK government placed the request to extend the deadline for the same.
The public voting held in June 2016, which worked as a base for taking the appropriate decision regarding the issue. 52% of people voted in favour of British Exit.
What is the European Union?
The economic and Political tie-up of 29 European countries is termed as European Union. European Union allows several benefits to its member countries. One of the major benefits which are served to its member countries is that the European Union allows the people of its member countries to choose, move, and work in the country of their choice.
European Union also provides the permission of sending or receiving the goods between the member countries without any extra charges or an inspection. The United Kingdom joined the union in 1973 when it was known as the European Economic Community. However, the United Kingdom is the first country to pull back its membership from the European Union.
What happens after Brexit Day?
According to the protocol, the United Kingdom withdrew its membership from the European Union on 31st January 2020. Even after membership withdrawal, many things need to be decided and taken care of.
United Kingdom has accepted all the terms and conditions of the EU, but many things need to be considered to build and maintain the future relationship between the UK and the European Union. All of this will be decided & agreed by both the bodies to run the proper functionality. It will all be decided within the implementation period which started from the very next day of Brexit and will end on 31st December 2020.
Few things will remain the same as they are in the present date, but certain things or rules will be amended due to Brexit. Let’s discuss both one by one.
The things that will remain the same even after Brexit day are:
- Till the date the implementation period is running, the United Kingdom citizens will retain their travelling rights like any other EU citizen.
- The driving licenses and the pet passports of UK citizens will be accepted until the date the driving license & the passport of the pet is lawful and legal. The more will be added to the same when both the EU & UK will decide the rules and regulations for the same during the implementation period.
- The EHIC card and its benefits can be easily availed by UK citizens until the implementation period ends.
- Either UK citizen or EU citizen both will still be able to choose their country for living & working till 31st December 2020.
- Till 31st December 2020, all the UK citizens who were the EU residents will receive their state pension and other benefits. After the implementation period, whether the things will be changed or they will remain the same, is still to decide.
- The funding for the EU budget will be continued until the 31st of December 2020.
- The trade relationship between the United Kingdom and European Countries will remain the same. It means both the UK and EU will still be able to import & export the products or goods without any extra charges and surveillance.
The things which will be changed after Brexit are:
- United Kingdom citizens will not work under European Parliament and will not further be renowned as members of the European Parliament. All the UK citizens who are presently working as members of the European Parliament will have to quit their membership with the European Parliament.
- In the future, if UK officials want to join the EU council Summit, then they will need a special invitation for the same.
- The UK will now decide new rules & regulations for receiving and outsourcing the products & services for all the countries around the globe.
- The colour of the UK passport will be changed. It will be now in the same Blue colour as it was before 1988. It was announced by the Immigration Minister that the UK passport will acquire its blue-and-gold design back, which was first used in 1021.
- The new coins will be made after the complete implementation of Brexit.
- UK Brexit department will not be in function any longer after the Brexit day.
- If the suspected criminals go to Germany then it will not be possible in the future to get the back to the UK. Earlier it was possible, but after Brexit, Germany does not allow its citizens to be arrested or released in any other country unless it comes under European Union.
Things to be Decided?
To implement a new free trade agreement between the United Kingdom and EU, some time is required. This implementation period of Brexit offers the time to both the bodies to think wisely and then to take the proper decision.
Trading is one of the most important aspects that need special attention. However, apart from trading, there are many more elements that are supposed to be decided for the future relationship between the UK and the EU. Some of them are as follows:
- Aviation standards and safety.
- Fishing water accessibility.
- Electricity and gas supply.
- Medicinal Licenses and their regulation.
- Data sharing, laws that need to be implemented, and their security.
According to several UK nationals, the Brexit is important and the necessary step that needs to opt and should be implemented well. The message was well received and recognized through the result of the voting held in June 2016. The majority of almost 52% of people were in favor of Brexit.
Brexit has numerous advantages and disadvantages as well. The final decision of Brexit was made on 31st January 2020 at sharp 11:00 PM. The midnight call of Brexit is under the implementation period till 31st December 2020. Meanwhile, the Brexit has completely implemented the European Union and the United Kingdom need to make some difficult decision to carry out a smooth future relationship between UK & EU.